Dan the Serene
[Recent Entries][Archive][Friends][User Info]
Below are the 10 most recent journal entries recorded in the "Dan the Serene" journal:
[<< Previous 10 entries]
Want versus Need|
Around here folks generally commute by motorcycle because they want to, and by scooter because they need to.
Motorcycle riders tend to go out in adverse weather because they enjoy the challenge, enjoy playing with their gear, or really want to use the HOV lanes by themselves.
Scooter riders tend to go out in adverse weather because their other choice is to not get to work.
This thought brought to you by the guy I saw riding his scooter in freezing rain this morning. No motorcycles were observed during my drive (in the car) to work.
I never really believed |
I just saw my first V-22 Osprey in flight. It's rotors were up as it traveled, in the general direction of Davison Airfield, which is only a couple miles away. Of course, there are so many military airfields within a few miles that it is impossible to tell where it took off or will land.
Dan --It's brief because it's Blackberry
Seriously, Animal Planet |
There is no point to tying up a corner of the screen to advertise your wretched "Finding Bigfoot" program during "Blue Planet". Fans of actual nature programming with David Attenborough narration aren't interested in your made-up "reality" program that has nothing to do with reality. Spare us.
Follow on to "Running for Sheriff as a Woman"|
Apparently, being a woman with a (D) after your name *can* get you elected sheriff, despite having no articulated positions on anything.
If you live in Virginia, this is a very useful website:
It will confirm your voter registration, your polling place, what will be on your ballot, bond issues and other items, and all of your candidates with their websites.
Running for Sheriff as a "Woman"|
The Fairfax County Democrat candidate for Sheriff is named Stacey Ann Kincaid. here is her website:
We have a large and well known police department here, so the Sheriff runs the very expensive jail, protects the courts, and does civil process.
Here are the issues she lists on her webpage:
- See more at: http://staceykincaid.com/issues/#sthash.DIaGxBo1.dpuf
I’m Stacey Kincaid, and as you know I am running for the Office of the Sheriff of Fairfax. The responsibility of the Sheriff is managing the Adult Detention Center, providing security in the courthouse and serving civil law process.
- As an elected officer, the Sheriff is in a unique position to cultivate a close relationship with citizens. I recognize that there is nothing more crucial to the success of a law enforcement agency than the partnership between law enforcement agencies and the communities they serve. By embracing the philosophy of collaborative community service, the Sheriffs Office will be able to work with citizens to create a safer community. I have learned that to be effective, the Sheriffs Office cannot operate alone; we require the inclusion of this community. Your active support and assistance in our mission is critical to improving the service I intend to provide.
- The key to maintaining that support is the recognition that law enforcement agencies must reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. Every day, our deputies come into contact with individuals from different cultural backgrounds, socioeconomic classes, religions, sexual orientations, and physical and mental abilities. Each of these groups brings a different perspective to community relations and, as a result, our deputies must be prepared to respond to each group appropriately. Failure to recognize and adjust to the rich diversity of our community can foster resentment among citizens and lead to a breakdown in the bond of trust between a law enforcement agency and its community.
- Diversity is as important to me as it is to the citizens that I will serve. When I became a Deputy Sheriff in 1987, women were underrepresented in policing. The same can be said of many other underrepresented groups as well. The Fairfax Sheriff’s Office has been slow to adapt to the change. No longer can values be self serving. It is my belief that the Office of the Sheriff must face up to the evolving needs of the community and the expectations placed upon its top leadership. I am committed to developing new strategies and approaches that can be used to increase our effectiveness and, in turn, better serve our community. I am deeply committed to equal protection of the rights of all members of our community.
- I have been and remain committed to promoting diversity, seeking feedback from our citizens, and providing the best law enforcement service to the County, the City of Fairfax, and the Towns of Vienna and Herndon. I ask you to trust my efforts to promote diversity, transparency and professionalism, thereby enhancing the vital relationship between citizens and police officers in your community.
Four bullets. Four uses of the word "Diversity", three in the first sentence and one of those as the first word.
Nothing about the War on Drugs, Bill of Rights, administration of the jail, or any other issue a sheriff might be expected to address. She really is running as "not a man", and she's still white which brings her up short on purely diversity-based grounds. She should be unelectable on her Issues, but she's the Democrat candidate so she has a legitimate shot at it.
Politics is complete crap.
Pimpin' ain't easy|
On the left is my foot. On the right is my dress shoe I wear a couple times a year, for occasions like my company formal party last Saturday.
BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) for Android and iPhone|
BBM is my favorite form of asynchronous communication. Penny and I use it constantly, and i have a couple other people I use it with as well.
As of yesterday, it is available for platforms other than BlackBerry. I've already experimented with an iPhone user.
You can find out more about it, and get to the download from here:
I have located my fingerless gloves, so winter can start whenever it wants.finding coats and hats is easy, particularly since I have selection of each. I only have one pair of fingerless gloves, though. No one was selling what I wanted last year, so I've been wearing the same pair for a couple years already (The North Face, fleece with reinforced palms).
It looks like a couple places are at least planning to sell them this year, so I'll stock up when I get the chance.
Making money from free stuff|
First I watched this on YouTube: Árstíðir - Heyr himna smiður (Icelandic hymn) in train station
then I went to their website and downloaded five free songs, including the one above,
then I bought all three of their albums.
[<< Previous 10 entries]