Log in

No account? Create an account
SITREP - Dan the Serene
March 3rd, 2010
08:48 pm


Previous Entry Share Next Entry

Short form:

I’m home, in no pain at the moment, completely recovered from the general anesthetic.  No nausea at any point.  The local anesthetic in my knee should wear off in another hour or two, but I have Percocet standing by.  The knee is as good as it will ever be, I’m just dealing with the aftereffects of the surgery itself.

Mom & I were at the place early, minimal inprocessing on site, since we’d done a lot of it over the phone with the pre-op nurse.  I got down to running shorts, surgical gown and hospital socks (the kind with a rubber tread pattern on the sole), on to a bed and an IV started in my hand.  I hate needles, and trying to get that thing into the back of my hand after 10 hours of no fluids was kind of a drag, but they started some fluid through it and that got me rehydrated while we waited for the doctor.  He got caught on the wrong side of an accident on the beltway, so we started about 20 minutes late.  I remember then shooting a sedative into my IV, then I remember being in an easy chair in the recovery room.  There was less than an hour in between, but I don’t mind that I lost it.  I was pretty groggy for about another 20 minutes before I was ready to go.  I’m told that people who drink deal with it better.  What a drag that I’m a teetotaler.

They wheeled me out to car and I was able to give mom directions home.  My dad met us there.  I was able to walk in under my own power and get settled in.  Mom left for a meeting, and dad suck around while I dozed on an air mattress in the living room for some period of time.  When I woke up from that I decided I could go up and sleep in my bed, so dad helped me move my drugs, water bottle, etc., then he went home and I slept for a couple hours.  Piedad the dog walker came over at some point to check on me and feed the dogs.  I believe we had a conversation but don’t remember what anyone said.  I’ll have to ask her tomorrow.

Penny came over after work and will be staying over.  She brought me some dinner, for which I had a surprisingly good appetite. We’re hanging out for a bit, then I’m going to take some drugs and go to sleep.

Further reports as events warrant.

(8 comments | Leave a comment)

[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 01:54 am (UTC)
For my last op I walked out of the place and into the house under my own power and was doing pretty good.

The next day the stuff they packed in the knee had worn off and the pain hit me like a ton of bricks. From what you've said they probably did less on you than me, but be prepared in case it sneaks up on you too.
[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 02:00 am (UTC)
I suspect I will get a bit worse again before I'm done. The drugs are at the ready, and I suspect that is why they tell you to take Thursday and Friday off, if possible. Based on how I feel right now, I'd say I could probably go to work tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.
[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 02:49 am (UTC)
Mom mode:

Even if you feel great, don't push it. You've just had a invasive procedure and you don't want to risk re-injury.

/Mom mode

Hope tomorrow isn't too bad.
[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 03:21 am (UTC)
No tap dancing for me. I've had to restrain myself from moving it too much today because it feels so good right now. As daddygod mentioned, I'm probably going to feel it a lot more tomorrow after the local wears off.

Edited at 2010-03-04 03:25 am (UTC)
[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 02:37 pm (UTC)
I just had an ACL replacement not too terribly long ago, I walked myself right outta there and the next day had to use crutches and hobble everyplace.

Don't do too much at once, and keep those pain pills and ice handy!

My friend recommended that I take the pain pills even if I didn't hurt the first few days at least, the logic being that it was much harder to stop the hurt after the fact than to just keep it quiet from the beginning.
[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 02:10 am (UTC)
I am glad you are home and doing well. :)
[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 04:45 pm (UTC)
I'm glad everything went so smoothly!

That's interesting about teetotalers dealing with the grogginess better. When I had my stomach scope thingie, the nurse kept coming in and asking me why I wasn't dressed and I said, "I'm too dizzy!" It seemed like it took me a really long time to be able stay awake, much less to function.
[User Picture]
Date:March 4th, 2010 05:03 pm (UTC)
Actually, what I was trying to say is that people who drink a lot tend to need more anestetic and recover from it faster.

As a non-drinker, I was struggling to get my act together. Now that I think about it, I don't remember how my sweatpants and T-shirt got on me. I don't think I had much to do with it.
Powered by LiveJournal.com