I never had much going on there, but then two things happened today that pushed me over the edge.
the first was reading this article from EFF. Facebook changes the rules constantly, and they get worse every time.
The second was an email I received from an old coworker via facebookmail. It was addressed to my primary personal email, not the one I have tied to Facebook, because that is the address he has had for me for years.
The email also listed all of the people who have tried to get me to join Facebook via my primary email (four).
Here's the part that creeps me out. The last part of the email is called "Other people you may know on Facebook", and contained nine names and photos. Though I've only interacted with one of them via Facebook under any name, I KNOW ALL NINE TO ONE DEGREE OR ANOTHER.
1. A photographer I've followed via her website, LJ when she had one, Flickr, and have met in person a couple times. I don't have an email address or phone number for her.
2. partywhipple, who I know via LJ and IRL and have full contact information.
3. a current coworker who was one of my dozen friends on Facebook. I have full contact info for him also.
4. egbubba, who I only know through LJ.
5. a longtime friend of a longtime friend who I have met IRL a couple times. I have no contact info for her.
6. daddygod an LJ friend who despite living a few timezones away I have met IRL, spoken to on the phone (along with his wife), and he has sent me CDs.
7. a former coworker who I saw through the professional organization ISSA periodically for a few years after we stopped working together. I have email and phone info on her, but haven't used it in at least 1-2 years.
8. an LJ friend who I also know through Flickr and have corresponded with but never met. I have her real name and email address.
9. The owner of the gym I train in once a week. I have email and phone info on her and have seen her socially.
How the HELL does Facebook know that I know these people?